The Gazi Mehmed Pasha Hammam

4 October, 2018

The Gazi Mehmed Pasha Hammam (Turkish Bath) is located in the city centre, near the Kukli-Mehmet Bey and Emin Pasha Mosques. It was built between 1563-1574, by Gazi Mehmet Pasha, who was the Sanjak-bey of Shkodra between 1573-1574. An inscription plate over the main gate (1833) reveals when the restoration was completed by Tahir and Mehmed Pashe Rrotulli. The Turkish Bath is part of the architectural ensemble established by Gazi Mehmet Pasha, which also includes the Bayrakli Mosque, the Primary School (Meytep), Secondary School (Madrasa), the Library, and the Mausoleum (Türbe). The hammam is a double bath type, which means that it was used by both genders at the same time. The hammam consists of all the usual spaces of its typology, from the entrance area (waiting and drinking area), the cloakroom, the central bathing room, sauna, and entertainment area, as well as the furnace located in the southern part of the facility.

The bath is constructed in various stones, combined with bricks. The walls are around 90 cm thick, plastered on the inside. The roofing of the facility consists of two domes upon drums (in the cold area – reception), and nine smaller domes over the hot part of the bath. The cloakroom and furnace area are covered with vaults. The cold areas are covered with roof tiles, whereas other areas are covered in lead tiles. Until 1964, the Hamam area was surrounded by commercial buildings, which were demolished when the restoration and conservation works began. In the 1970s, several renovation works were initiated, but did not last for long, and the facility was left abandoned. Since 2000, the cold part of the Hamam has been used as a gallery for various cultural, artistic and educational activities.